Our senior secondary curriculum is designed to prepare students for their next stage in life, whether it be further study or entry into the workplace. Students are offered a challenging and diverse curriculum for the vital senior years, with a wide range of subjects accredited by the Queensland Studies Authority, as well as opportunities to undertake nationally-accredited vocational courses.
Our vocational subjects provide a smooth transition from school to work. Students may also undertake on-the-job training through School Based Traineeships, Structured Work Placement or Work Experience.
Our Careers Counsellor is on hand to offer guidance and assistance in these important life choices.
The range of subjects offered for Years 11 and 12 at St Catherine's Catholic College provides students with the opportunity to select a course which will prepare them for their future.
The subjects offered at St Catherine's Catholic College fall into three different categories:
1. Authority Subjects, which are developed in the College, accredited by the Queensland Studies Authority and recognised by all tertiary institutions when selecting students for Degree and some Diploma courses. The results in these subjects contribute to the student’s OP (Overall Position) on the Student Education Profile. If a student is not eligible for an OP the results in these subjects can contribute to the calculation of a tertiary entrance rank on
2. Authority Registered Subjects, which are established by the Queensland Studies Authority and developed by the College in recognition of school need. These subjects are recorded on the Student Education Profile. The results in these subjects do not contribute to the OP but they do contribute to the calculation of a tertiary entrance rank and the QCE.
3. Stand Alone VET (Vocational Education and Training) includes those courses which consist of a national qualification at certificate levels I, II or III. These subjects are recorded on the Student Education Profile. While they do not contribute to an OP, they contribute to the calculation of a tertiary entrance rank and the QCE.
Students who complete all requirements will be issued with the relevant certification. Students who do not complete all requirements for certification will receive a Statement of Attainment for those competencies successfully completed.
THE NEW SENIOR ASSESSMENT SYSTEM
- Information for school communities: a 12 slide presentation (PDF, 419.7 KB)
- From syllabus to subject to result (AV):
- A comparison of the current and the new systems (PDF, 170.6 KB)
- From Syllabus to